Chocolate Gifts from Chocolate.com.

Sunday, December 16, 2007

Rice Krispies are THE Best!

I did not know that easy to make dessert was called White Trash! What a hoot. You know I bet that it surely isn't called that in the North.

I know, I know, I seem to be fixating on what some of our favorites are called in other parts of the world. But it just can't be helped, when my mind travels down a path it finds a rut and there I am over and over again.

My favorite of all favorite desserts along those lines is rice crispy treats. Marshmallows and rice crispies with a bit of butter all mixed together. We used to make that all the time when I was a child. Now of course you can buy them packaged at the store but it just isn't the same as our homemade variety.

It was rare that we had any to share after we all got together to mix up a batch. Stir and test, stir and sample.

I was looking around and found a recipe that is just perfect for Christmas. Here it is:

Rice Krispie Christmas Trees
Servings: 12

Ingredients
3 tablespoons margarine or butter
1 package (10 oz. about 40) regular marshmallows
- or -
4 cups miniature marshmallows
6 cups Ready-To-Eat Cereal Kellogg's® Rice Krispies®
- or -
6 cups Ready-To-Eat Cereal Kellogg's® Cocoa Krispies™
Prepared green frosting
Red cinnamon candies

Directions
1. Melt margarine in large saucepan over low heat. Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat.

2. Add KELLOGG'S RICE KRISPIES cereal. Stir until well coated.

3. Using buttered spatula or waxed paper, press mixture evenly in 15 1/2 x 10 1/2 x 1-inch pan coated with cooking spray. Cool slightly. Using 4-inch tree cookie cutter, cut into tree shapes. Decorate as desired with frosting and red cinnamon candies. Best if served the same day.

MICROWAVE DIRECTIONS:
In a microwave safe bowl, heat margarine and marshmallows at HIGH for 3 minutes, stirring after 2 minutes. Stir until smooth. Follow steps 2 and 3 above.

Microwave cooking times may vary.

We used the kind of marshmallows that came in a jar sometime, too. Up north they call it "Fluff". I know because a dear friend of mine moved down here from the north and went looking for it but couldn't find it anywhere. I tried to tell her that we had something just as good if not better, but she was rather pig headed and would not listen. Now I see they are finally carrying her Fluff on the grocery store shelves. I haven't tried it. I will stick to my Duke's mayonaise and the jarred marshmallow I grew up with thank you.

Have a wonderfully crispy day,
Miss Faye

No comments:

Mint Julep Journal