Chocolate Gifts from Chocolate.com.

Sunday, December 30, 2007

Can't go anywhere!

Miss Etta, that reminds me of a vacation story from many years back. My friend and I were in a small town in Florida. We got turned around, made a few wrong turns and got ourselves thoroughly lost.

We decided to turn left on a street that looked like it would take us toward the beach. It didn't.

It curved around, ran parallel to the street we had turned off of and finally gave us no choice but to curve back around to that self-same street.

We stopped at the traffic light and quickly checked out the situation to see which way to turn.

The road was a one-way on the left going to the right. The road across from us which normally would have been an option was also a one-way coming in our direction. The street we were on was a two-way, we doubled checked.

That normally would have left us with one option, which should have been to turn right.

However, smack dab in the middle of the street, hanging down so it was impossible to miss was a sigh that said "NO RIGHT TURN."

It didn't say "No Right Turn on RED," it simply said "NO RIGHT TURN." Just in case the intrepid driver of a vehicle might have missed the sign dangling in clear view, there was a regular rectangular sign stuck in the ground to the right of the car that said "NO RIGHT TURN."

The light turned green. The people behind us honked. Decision time.

I whipped out my camera and took photos.

What else would you expect a tourist to do.

We then turned right.

So did the vehicle behind us.

I had every intention to take the photos and send them to Jay Leno, but you know how that goes. They're in a box somewhere, collecting dust.

I have thought many times about that intersection and tried to fathom what was in the mind of the people who made the decision to put up those signs.

I am thinking they just liked to have fun with hapless travelers. Or maybe they had imbibed just a touch too much hooch.

If I ever find those photos, I'll have to post them on here for everyone to see.

Just in case I don't get to write before the New Year, Miss Etta I hope you and your family have a year filled with places you can get to (and that you want to go)!

Miss Faye

No comments:

Mint Julep Journal