Chocolate Gifts from Chocolate.com.

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Ranting again about television and movie stars

Oh lordy, lordy, I just loved Miss Vul's comments about your TV entry Miss Etta! I think it might be fun to see if Miss Vul would like to join us more often. Mayhap she might enjoy sitting on our virtual front porch sipping mint juleps and sharing her thoughts. It is clear that she is a rightful southern gal don't you think?

Miss Etta, I have to tell you that when I read your entry I thought you were talking at first about some new TV that was getting ready to be released. It doesn't take much to confuse me sometimes. It's a state of being that just comes natural.

Miss Vul talked about The Closer. I have been wanting to watch that but I was scared I just might get addicted because I do like the star of that show. I saw Kyra Sedgwick (The Closer) in a cute movie many years ago called Heart & Souls. It had Robert Downey, Jr. in it and Charles Grodin and some others. If you've never seen that movie you have to watch it! Anyway, I have always liked her. She is married to some movie star who everyone would recognize but the name is lost in the nether regions of my sometimes foggy mind. She has been married forever and I really like that, especially in Hollywood.

I find that I almost prefer anything to watching television. It is hypnotic and when it is on the world does not exist if it is a good program. Unfortunately, or fortunately for someone who prefers to make something rather than waste time in front of a screen, there is not much of any quality on anymore.

And what about all these pat-yourself-on-the-back awards they have these days? There are awards for best-acting-sneeze I believe. These actors are so full of themselves and we just go right along building them up into something bigger than life just because they appear on those bigger than life screens.

What is it that makes us practically worship these people and follow their crazy antics so avidly? Why right here in our backyard we have talent that far surpasses some of the so-called stars I see on TV.

I have been ranting again. I just can't seem to stop myself sometimes. I feel the need for a large mint julep to calm myself down. However, I firmly believe in waiting until after the noon hour before sipping on any strong beverage thus I will have to wait.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, Miss Faye, aren't you the sweetest thing? I sure do 'preciate that invitation. Just add another straw to that mint julep and scoot over cause I think I'll just take you up on it and come sit a spell on your v-porch.

As long as I don't wear out my welcome, that is.

You sure are right about talent right here in our own backyard. Why just look at the Fayette Front Page. All those people doing all those talented things.

And it's nothing new to this area, either. Why this patch of red dirt we call home has been talented upon more times than I can count.

Take this one boy named B. W. Mersk. He hung around between second and third base on the school playground, leaning up against the little fence that surrounded the cesspool, separating it from the kickball field. Somebody'd really get their foot into a ball, and whoosh. That red school-issue ball would sail right over everybody's heads and thunk right into the cesspool. Quick as a flash, B. W. went wading in, treading where none of the rest of us dared to go. He'd fetch the ball, get back outside the fence, shake himself off pretty good, then roll the ball back to the pitcher and go on back to leaning and waiting on the next pretty good kicker to step up to the plate. That right there was what I call useful talent. Anybody who could go that close to the cesspool - let alone inside it - and not gag. Uh huh.

Now I got a husband who can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his tongue. And not even open his mouth too much. I been thinking about hiring him out for parties and such. He's a right outgoing type, and a little bit of pin money never hurt any of us. You know what I mean?

Got another relative who can lay down on the piano bench - her head close to the keyboard - raise her arms up over her face to the keyboard, cross 'em, and play the piano.

She really can.

Can play all sorts of tunes like that. That's not just talent - that's a nimble brain, too, dontchaknow.

Then there's my uncle who can make a dollar go further than from here to Australia and back. But I guess that's delving into a different column - one that's called something other than talent.

At least to hear his family talk, it is.

Ummm hmmmm.


Why just look at you and Miss Etta. All the talent that veritably flies right outta your fingertips daily. Y'all sling these words and thoughts together like nobody's business, and I'm here to tell you: that's talent.

Yes it is.

You are so right, Miss Faye: we don't have to trek all the way out to California to find talent. No, we sure don't.

But I tell you what: if you want to step outside our backyard via the internet, give this little nugget a listen: http://www.songpeddler.com/JimWilson/GodsCricketChorus_JWilson.asp

It's a chorus of crickets singing.

I kid you not.

Somebody with way too much time on their hands, recorded crickets THEN, as if that wasn't enough, slowed the recording down to match the length of the average lifespan of a human being.

Don't ask me how they did that 'cause I do NOT do math.

The slowed-down version is on track 2, so be real sure to listen to it. It's a selection right outta nature's talent show. And it could still be local talent 'cause for all we know, those crickets were performing on this red soil we call home. Could be. It sure could be.

Gotta' run.

Till next time, I am

Miz Vul

Mint Julep Journal