Chocolate Gifts from Chocolate.com.

Friday, April 18, 2008

What a glorious day... for an apology, a real apology

Oh, it is such a gloriously beautiful day today! All I want to do is bask in the sunshine, play in the garden or walk in the woods. However, I have decided to be a good girl and write to my Mint Julep sisters! Yes, I know, it is about darn time isn't it?

Well, I have been off gallivanting. I suppose someday I'll break down and get one of those contraptions that allows you to communicate with anyone at any time, but that time is not yet here.

I was struck by Miz Vul's comments on apologies. I have a very big pet peeve when it comes to apologies. Don't you hate it when someone apologizes by saying "I deeply regret if anything I have done offended anyone" or "I apologize if my statements caused anyone harm" or some variation? They neglect to apologize for what they did, they're just saying they're sorry that you are so dumb that it bothered you.

They obviously feel not the first bit of regret for their actions. They take no responsibility for what they've done.

What really steams me is that people buy it. How many politicians apologize in that manner? Most of them.

We seem to be living in a society that does not believe in consequences for inappropriate actions. It is as though the word "sorry" rolling off the tongue absolves a person. How many times have you heard someone say "well, he / she apologized"? If someone acts sincere enough in their so-called apology the world is willing to give them a pass. Ha!

Oh, and what about those who include an excuse in their apology? My hair fell flat and the hem raveled on my dress, so when I trashed your reputation, I was just having a bad day? I am so sorry I was nasty, my dog dies three years ago and I'm still in mourning? I came from a single parent home and it scarred me for life, thus I continue to do and say horrible things, but I am just as sorry as I can be each time I slip?

I don't know about you gals, but if you are truly contrite you change your ways, you make sincere amends and you eat a bit of crow.

You will note that I have not apologized for not writing for the past while. I have every intention of changing my ways, but I am not sure enough of the fact to offer an apology.

You all have a wonderful weekend and go out and enjoy the sunshine while it is here! Not only does it feel good, it is good for you.

Miss Faye
(now don't go having a heart attack just because I am actually writing)

No comments:

Mint Julep Journal