Chocolate Gifts from Chocolate.com.

Thursday, January 3, 2008

Crazy weather

Now I don't give much credence to the global warming thing. I've been around long enough to yawn when another chicken-little starts yelling about the sky falling, the ice age coming, DDT, and all that mess.

And just in case some yahoo out there wants to start yelling at me about global warming or taking care of our world, I consider myself a good steward of the environment.

The drought is troubling. Water is going to be a huge concern for many years to come, not just here but all across the world. There are just so many people and we keep building and building. We know we don't have enough water in an area to support a ton of people but we build anyway. Somehow we always seem to muddle through these things, though. Better minds than mine are puzzling over how to deal with the water situation. I'll just keeping doing my tiny part to try and help.

The weather is crazy right now. Not enough rain, then just enough to keep us from breaking that old 1950's record. And this cold snap. Short-lived from what I read, then we're back to spring-like weather again.

This isn't that abnormal though. I can remember years with record-breaking freezes right on the heels of shorts wearing sunshine. I remember Christmas days where we hadn't broken out our jackets yet. It just seemed abnormal to get a Christmas card depicting a sleigh ride through snow-laden forests while sitting in the sunshine on our front porch.

One of the things I really dearly love about living in Georgia is the ever-changing weather. It gets warm enough in the summer to appreciate the swimming pool and cold enough most years to enjoy a cup of hot cocoa in front of the fire. I wouldn't want to live somewhere that I had to shovel out the driveway to get to work and I wouldn't want to live in an area where I could hit the beach 365 days a year.

I love our crazy weather.

Miss Faye

No comments:

Mint Julep Journal